The United Nations (UN) // Persatuan Bangsa-Bangsa Bersatu (PBB)
- An international organization whose stated aims are facilitating cooperation in international law,international security, economic development, social progress, human rights, and achievement of world peace .
- The UN was founded in 1945 after World War II to replace the League of Nation, to stop wars between countries, and to provide a platform for dialogue.
- It contains multiple subsidiary organizations to carry out its missions.
- There are currently 193 member states
- The organization has six principal organs :
- General Assembly (the main deliberative assembly); the Security Council (for deciding certain resolutions for peace and security); the Economic and Social Council(for assisting in promoting international economic and social cooperation and development); the Secretariat (for providing studies, information, and facilities needed by the UN); the International Court of Justice (the primary judicial organ); and the United Nation Trusteeship Council (which is currently inactive)
- Other prominent UN System agencies include the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Food Programme (WFP) and United Nation Children Fund (UNICEF).
Bersih 2.0 Rally
“Only when elections are clean and fair, can citizens be real masters of their own destiny and expect holders of public office to act accountably and effectively.”
What Is Bersih ?
The Bersih 2.0 rally (also called the Walk for Democracy) was a demonstration in Kuala Lumpur held on 9 July 2011 as a follow-up to the 2007 Bersih rally
What is their purpose ?
To ensure free and fair elections in Malaysia. It demanded that the EC clean up the electoral roll, reform postal voting, use indelible ink, introduce a minimum 21-day campaign period, allow all parties free access to the media, and put an end to electoral fraud.
The 2011 rally's immediate demands were:
- Clean the electoral roll
- Reform postal voting
- Use of indelible ink
- A minimum campaign period of 21 days
- Free and fair access to mainstream media
- Strengthen public institutions
- Stop corruption
- Stop dirty politics